Air Passenger Numbers Soar to New HeightsAir Passenger numbers exceeded 4 billion for the first time ever according to recent data published by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Improvements in global economic conditions and lower air fares are thought to be prime factors. Airlines connected to a record number of cities worldwide with regular services to over 20,000 paired cities, double the level of 1995.
In 2000 the average person flew every 43 months, by 2017 the figure was every 22 months. “Flying has never been more accessible…it is liberating people to explore more of our planet for work, leisure and education” said Alexandre de Juniac, IATA’s Director General and CEO.
4.1 billion passengers were carried on scheduled services in 2017, an increase of 280 million trips compared to 2016.
Airlines in Asia-Pacific carried 1.5 billion passengers, with the largest market share at 36.3%.
Airlines in Europe carried 1.1 billion passengers, a market share of 26.3%.
The Top 5 airlines ranked by total no. of scheduled passengers flown were:
1. American Airlines (324 million)
2. Delta Air Lines (316.3 million)
3. United Airlines (311 million)
4. Emirates Airline (289 million)
5. Southwest Airlines (207.7 million)
The top 5 international/regional airport pairs were all within the Asia-Pacific region:
1. Hong Kong-Taipei Taoyuan (5.4 million)
2. Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta-Singapore (3.3 million)
3. Bangkok Suvarnabhumi-Hong Kong (3.1 million)
4. Kuala Lumpur–Singapore (2.8 million)
5. Hong Kong-Seoul Incheon (2.7 million)
The top 5 passenger traffic by nationality :
1. United States of America (632 million, representing 18.6% of all passengers)
2. People’s Republic of China (555 million or 16.3% of all passengers)
3. India (161.5 million or 4.7% of all passengers)
4. United Kingdom (147 million or 4.3% of all passengers)
5. Germany (114.4 million or 3.4% of all passengers)
ORTG Business Travel has secured excellent business class air fares with some of the world's leading airlines. Find out more about our latest fares and how our Corporate Travel Services can help your business https://bit.ly/2x57KY4 The complete 62nd WATS is available for purchase on IATA’s website at www.iata.org/wats.
11 September 2018